The purpose of the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club is to promote and encourage the use of bicycles for transportation and recreation in southwestern Virginia; to support the rights of cyclists; to provide information in the interest of cycling and safety; and to provide a variety of recreational and competitive cycling opportunities for our members. We focus primarily on road cycling. We partner with RIMBA (Roanoke International Mountain Biking Association chapter) on some events, and many BRBC members belong to both clubs.
Here are some highlights of club activities. Unless otherwise noted, the general public is welcome to our rides, events and competitions.
- Signature rides: Tuesday nights 5:30 PM during daylight savings, 3 routes, 1 for every ability.
- Weekly socials: After every Tuesday night ride, regroup downtown at Cornerstone Bar & Grill.
- Weekly rides: A variety of rides are hosted by club members nearly every week of the year.
- Spring Summits: Ride to the top of ten local mountains. Beautiful scenery, great way to end winter hibernation and build fitness. Untimed, but prizes for completion. Members only.
- Signature event: The Artie Levin Century in June. All ability levels, routes range from 15 to 100 miles. Named after the late Artie Levin, club founder and local fitness guru.
- Star Challenge: Timed summer hillclimb competition to determine King or Queen of Mill Mt. Four consecutive Monday nights, prizes. First-timers and members only.
- Fall cyclocross race series at Fallon Park. First-timers and members only.
- Social events: Annual summer and winter parties. Members only.
- Advocacy for bicycle lanes, motorist awareness, general safety. We partner with RIDE Solutions.
- Membership benefits: Discounts, additional prizes, annual summer & winter parties, and more.